Kichakeswari Mata Mandir

Kichakesvari /Kichakeshwari / Kichakeswari temple is located at a longitude 85° 49° 58°degree east and latitude of 21° 55° 39° degree north and it is 1220 ft abovesea level. The temple itself faces towards the east. It consists of a squarerekha vimana that stands over a high platform of 1.20 mtrs of high. Theapproximate allocation of space in terms of length and breath is approximate9.50 mtrs x 9.50 mtrs. It can be reached 13 km north of highway #6, from Singdachowk and 20 km north from Chodhaibur. It is also situated at a distance of 60Km from Keonjhar Town, 150 km from Baripada, 250 kms from Balasore and 350 kmsfrom Bhubaneshwar. The nearest railway station is from Keonjhar town whichconnects the main line to Bhubaneshwar.



The main object ofworship in this village is the 10 armed image of Maa Chamunda or Maa Kali orMaa Kinchakesvari. The temple is made up of black chlorite which faces towardsthe east and consists of rekha vimana and stands over a high platform of 1.15-1.20meters. The interior is single roomed where the Goddess deity is present andworshipped. The exteriors of temple is highly decorated, with magnificentsculptors like nayakas, naga-nagi, Ganesha, kirtimukha, khakharamundi and otherdevine god and goddess.

Inside the complexthere is a well preserved brick structure known as Itamundhi, during the timeof excavation in the year 1908 several images of gods and goddess where foundincluding the images of Buddha.

The temple complexalso have a museum where one can see several sculptors like Ardhanageswar,Vaishnavi, Nandi, Kartikeya, Avalokiteswa, Buddha and others from the nearbyexcavational site. All these findings signify that once this area flourishedcombined with the presence of highly original aesthetic sense and extraordinarycraftsmanship.



Temples History



The name Khichingmeans a corruption of Khijjinga or Khijjinga-kota. Khiching was the ancientcapital of Bhanjas rule of Khijjingakota. This temple was build during the 10thcentury A.D. but it was in a ruin during the 19th century so it was againreconstructed by Maharaja Pratap Chandra Bhanjadeo in the year 1942. The ruinsof this ancient magnificent town extend far beyond the limits of the presentvillage from the bank of the Khairabandhan river in the north to that of theKantakhair river in the south where they merge together to become the Vaitarniriver. Although this was the main centre of Shaivism and Sakta but excavationssuggests that Buddhism also flourished once during these periods.



Source : khiching.blogspot.in